COP26 – Action in Oxfordshire
The UN COP26 climate conference is on now. While politicians argue people in the UK and across the world are making their voices heard in many different ways. Actions are planned here in Oxfordshire – you can join or take action in your own community, workplace, school or college. We need our global leaders to know that we are watching, that failure cannot be an option, that: Things. Change. Now.
This page has been set up for the Oxfordshire COP 26 Climate Alliance – see here for info.on how to join
There are many activities planned across Oxfordshire –
click here for the latest update
Sat. 6th November – the Global Day of Action for Climate Justice
There will a March and Rally in Oxford, starting at Manzil Way on the Cowley Rd (1pm to leave at 1:30) and finishing with a rally in Broad Street. PLEASE JOIN US!
We expect thousands of people, so we need a lot of stewards to help the march go smoothly. Can you help? If so please sign up https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/oxford-climate-justice-rally-stewarding-tickets-199735794137
Please help promote the March! Share the basic information: https://www.facebook.com/events/1271854976588794
Please tweet and share on other platforms using #oxfordshirecop26.
Sat. 6th November: Stand Up for Climate Justice.
Not everyone will be able to make the Climate march and rally in Oxford on Saturday, and many also want to show their concern in their own neighbourhood.
So the idea is simple:
- Arrange with friends and other interested people to meet at 11am
- Choose a location that represents or identifies your community (outside a community centre, on the village green, or your faith building or a local landmark)
- Prepare a banner or placard with a simple message (see below)
- Get people assembled around the banner, and take the photo! Maybe someone says a few words to remind people how important this time is and why we are acting
- Share it on Twitter, Instagram and all social media as soon after 11am as possible – if you’re not a social media user find someone who can do this, maybe for a local organisation.
Use the main hashtag: #oxfordshirecop26 and you will appear on our ‘social wall’ with all the other actions: https://my.walls.io/f38y9
Please tag it with
@OxfordFoE1 as well as any others you may use
@BorisJohnson – so it ends up on his twitter feed
@AlokSharma_RDG – so it ends up on his twitter fee(Alok is the Chair of COP26)
What could your banner say?
- The banner can be on cloth or simply on paper pasted or blu-tacked onto a cardboard backing. Plan the design: think short & clear words, maybe with a logo.
- Make it colourful with the message in high contrast to the background – how you do it may depend on your artistic experience!
- Identify where you are – there may be lots of similar photos. What message do you want to send to the politicians? Something like:
- A fair climate action plan now! or
- Act now for climate justice – there is no Planet B! or
- No more delays – Climate Justice now! or
- Climate Crisis? – Sort it Out!
Register at https://actionnetwork.org/events/sat-6th-november-stand-up-for-our-future/ if you’d like to be involved.
Good luck and let’s hope for a sunny day!